Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

Yes, I'm Huge, I Know

As I would have expected this pregnancy is a lot different than my first since I'm dealing with two growing babies instead of one.  It seems like I went straight from first trimester (morning sickness and extremely tired) straight to third trimester (can't see my feet, hard time sleeping, heartburn and overall achiness).  Where did that second "I'm feeling great" trimester go?  It might have been here but only lasted a couple of weeks. 

How did this happen?  When I tell people that its twins they automatically ask if twins runs in the family, like that is the only way twins are even possible (and to that extent not even necessarily something that has to be genetic when conceived naturally).  Is that the new polite way of asking if I had fertility assistance?  I'm not embarrassed by the fact that I needed some medical help the second time around and find it quite fascinating that I could conceive so easily the first time (I'm talking, first try) but struggle so much the second, when usually it is the other way around.  Maybe I just like to be different.  Anyways, if you ask me if twins run in my family, then be prepared for the sharing of too much information on my part as I tell you that "no they don't run in the family and for some reason my progesterone levels tanked after my first pregnancy so after a year of trying with no luck my doctor prescribed clomid to help me ovulate and turns out I ovulated more than one egg and two ended up fertilized.  I'm very blessed." 
 
I can totally see where women, who have been trying for years and have gone through so much to just have the chance of conceiving, get so upset and frustrated when people are constantly asking them "when are you going to have a baby" or "it will happen, you just need to relax."  What are they supposed to say?  "I'll have a baby as soon as my uterus doesn't reject every embryo we try to implant in there" or "I'd have a baby if I could stop miscarrying."  I have become so much more sensitive to this fact that women with fertility issues don't want to hear that question and you never know who does or does not have those issues, so tread lightly.  On the comment of "it will happen when you stop trying" or "you need to just relax" is just annoying because it's not that easy of an answer and for someone to point out that all you have to do to have a baby is "relax" is an inconsiderate thing to say.  So for all the women out there who have gone through hell and back to get pregnant and have a baby, I admire your persistence and dedication and can't imagine the struggles you've gone through.  My issues were minor and easily fixed with a little pill and I'm thankful for that.
 
I'll add on to what pregnant women do not want to hear (or at least I don't want to hear):
 
1.  "Wow, you're getting so big."  Yes, I'm gigantic.  I have a mirror at home and I can see myself, you don't have to point that out. 
 
2.  "You're walking a little slow today."  Well thank you for letting me know that I'm dragging ass.  I'm tired, my back hurts, my hips hurt, my feet hurt and I'm only 5 months along.  I'm carrying more weight than I'm used to and parts of my body hurt that I didn't even know could be sore.
 
3.  "What a cute waddle."  This is like putting lipstick on a pig...trying to say something insulting in a cute way.  No pregnant woman wants someone to point out that they are waddling unless they are auditioning for a part in the broadway production of "March of the Penguins".  What more can I saw.
 
4.  "Twins!  You're going to have your hands full."  Thanks Captain Obvious!  First, I'd rather have them full than empty and every parent with a new baby, whether one or more, has their hands full.
 
5.  "I bet you're ready to not be pregnant anymore."  Are you trying to say that I look terrible as a pregnant woman or I look miserable?  Because to me you might as well say, "You look like hell, you've put on a lot of weight and pregnancy does not look good on you."   I'm well aware of the fact that I am not one of those women that look good pregnant.  I'm not Giselle the super model.  Being pregnant is an experience and I can't say that I enjoy it all that much, but I know that the end result is wonderful.  I love feeling the babies kick and move and every ultra sound I get is sheer joy.   

1 comment:

  1. Haha!! I can only laugh, because I have heard many of those comments. One of my favs I was given is "when are you going to drop that load?" Seriously?!?! Who says that! Keep up the great work Momma...you're making bones!

    ReplyDelete