Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Jocelyn's Birthday Party

For Jocelyn's 3rd birthday party, I went with a Jasmine and Aladdin theme and tried to bring the world of Agrabah into our house.   The color scheme was pink, purple and gold.  I did a large table that sat on the floor with pillows around it for seating for all the kids to sit at and eat lunch.  I also did a tenting effect in the living room. I bought three rolls of 100 feet of table cloth (purple, pink, and gold) and used this stuff everywhere!  It was a very inexpensive way to make a dramatic effect.






The food table was pretty simple and I used gold paper plates as a backdrop to mimic gold coins.  I also had spray painted wine bottles (the really large ones) and glued jewels on them with gold, purple, and pink decorative feathers.  The food was very simple and might not have been quite enough, but I get so frustrated when I have a party and there is so much food left over that I probably went a little too lean this time.  One of these days I'll figure out exactly how much I need.



Mom put together the photobox for the kids to take their picture in.  It was decorated to resemble a room in the palace and Jasmine and Aladdin are seen flying on the magic carpet through the window.  I thought it turned out so cute. 






I hired a facepainter/balloon artist to come and provide some entertainment for the kids.  Thaden was up first and got his whole face painted like Spiderman.  He didn't keep it on for very long because he probably thought it was permanent and it scared him a bit.  Jocelyn got her facepainted like a fairy (not very Jasmine - but I was happy she got it done)!  The artist was a big hit and I set her up in the Agrabah Bazaar.



The cake came from a bakery in Pearland and I thought they did a wonderful job.  I purchased the figurines from Disney.com and took them in to the bakery and they came up with the design.  Jocelyn loved her cake and it was very tasty!  Worth the money because there is no way I could have done something even close to that.




The kids also got to decorate their own treasure boxes and fill them with treasure (coins, necklaces, jeweled rings).  I think Owen had more fun coloring his hands than the box but I think the kids liked it.  Jocelyn made 3 of them.  Gotta love Oriental Trading for inexpensive party activities.

Overall, the party was a big success and Jocelyn asked the next day for another party (Aurora this time).  Then when it was her actual birthday and I sang her Happy Birthday she didn't really get it because she thought she already had her birthday but I tried to explain that was just her party.  I think it finally sank in.  We had lots of family there and here are some great shots of grandparents with all the grandkids!





Big thanks to my husband, my mom and my sisters for all their help in getting the party together.  Without them, the ideas that were in my head would have never been able to come to life since I am not allowed on ladders these days and I certainly could not have done all of it without them. 


2 comments:

  1. Super, super cute!!! Great job and it looks like Jocelyn enjoyed it!! Don't you love it when your ideas work out?! I just showed the pictures to my daughter and she loved it as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. It was a lot of fun to plan. I'm not sure my husband was too thrilled with all my ideas since he had to do most of the manual labor, but he claims he doesn't mind so I'll continue to go with it. I love to find inexpensive ways to make dramatic effects and use my creativity. I see all these great parties online but they cost a fortune.

    ReplyDelete