Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

1713 Meadowlark

On Sunday I had the chance to go see my childhood home which is now up for sale.  My family lived in the house from 1979 (the year before I was born) until 1998 (the year I graduated high school).  The exterior of the house had not changed much at all, except for some reduction in landscaping.  The interior was generally the same except for some upgrades to the kitchen (they did a really nice job with the counter tops, blacksplash and floors).  Even the shelf liner in the kitchen was the same as when we left.  The built in book cases in my sister Jennifer's room still had the same doors and tiny drawers that got stuck all the time.  Best of all, I was so happy to see that the shutters in my old room were still there (although the room itself was a home gym...glad they kept the shutters).



Walking through the house brought a flood of memories and I thought I'd share some of my favorites here.

  • Pool parties for my birthday (in August...always a Luau) or church youth group gatherings.
  • Get togethers with the Shankles for backyard BBQs.
  • Talking on the phone in the hallway that had a cord that was really short and you had to stand up to talk on it.
  • Hunting for Easter eggs in the backyard.
  • The whole family doing yard and house work on Saturday morning and having lunch on the gazebo when we were done.
  • Ruffles (our dog) lying in the drive way under the car port.
  • Playing Nintendo in Jennifer's room (my favorite game was Bubble Bobble).
  • Playing Barbies with Tracey for hours and hours.
  • Watching Saved by the Bell on Saturday mornings in the living room.
  • Decorating the house for Christmas and taking our family picture in front of the fireplace.
  • Seeing friends' cars pull up to the front and parking at the end of the walkway (no one wanted to park in the driveway because it was a pain to back out of....although I remember Niki popping a tire from broken concrete on the front curb).
  • Living right across the street from my Grandma and Grandpa.
  • Walking to junior high with Tracey, Leslie and Katie.
I'm sure I could go on and on! 





No comments:

Post a Comment