Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Why Such a Big Party?

One of my favorite things to do is plan birthday parties' for my kids and help out with parties for other friends and families.  It is my creative outlet and yes, I tend to take on too much and perhaps go a little over the top.  But I enjoy it.  


In 2 days we're having the twins' first birthday party and I've been busy the last few weeks getting it all put together.  The theme is Survivor (well, because we survived the first year) and I have all these ideas in my head of how I want the party to look and how the activities will go. Sometimes my ideas take up a lot of time and I get a bit in over my head.  Just yesterday I had a new idea of making a volcano (non-working), just for decoration - and being the kind of person I am, I had to go to the store (Hobby Lobby) immediately and get the materials to make this volcano.  We'll see how it turns out.


I've read several articles/blogs lately that in a nutshell puts into question these over-the-top party planning activities (assuming my parties even fall into this category) and the effect that has on kids.  Do the parents feel obligated or pressured to do it?  I really don't - I actually really enjoy it.  I'm not competing with my neighbor of who can do it better.  Being a lawyer day to day, dealing with mundane contract language and dealing with people who always have something tiny to complain about, I need something fun to do.  It's one of the reasons I enjoy doing improv.  I don't have to be serious - I can let my imagination run free.   I do think that I've already set up for Jocelyn the idea that she will always get an over the top birthday party and she even pretends, almost daily, that she is throwing a birthday party for someone (Mommy, Daddy, YaYa, etc.) - its always someone's birthday at our house!


No I don't go on pinterest every day to find an idea for day to day craft activities or little gifts for Jocelyn's classmates on Valentine's day or for end of the school year.  I don't have time for that.  I would probably really enjoy that - but I have to pick and choose. 


Will I throw these types of parties for the kids forever?  I don't know.  Maybe I'll stop when the kids get sick of it - but then there are my murder mystery parties I throw for myself.  I don't think I'm raising spoiled or entitled kids just by throwing an elaborate birthday party, with homemade decorations and lots of attention to detail - at least I hope not.  I think I can harmonize the two things.   On some level I hope that I am teaching my children how to be creative and how to bring ideas to life. 


I'll also keep taking my kids to Disney World as often as I can because I love it and its awesome.  Will they remember every single trip? No, of course not.  But I will.


Stay tuned for pictures of the party! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm right there with you sister! I thoroughly enjoy it as well. And definitely not doing it to compete with anyone...that would take the fun out of it! I can't believe it has been a year already. WOW! I'm looking forward to this volcano!! And Ally is the same with parties (wonder where she gets it from); she has been planning her party for a couple of months now and her birthday isn't until Sept...we've already had a few theme changes! LOL!

    ReplyDelete